Sunday, July 31, 2011

Being Certain of the Truth

I recently attended the funeral of a long-time neighbor to my parents (and me growing up). He lived a full life well into his 80s. During the service one of his adult children read John 14:2. "In my Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you." This verse is common at funerals because of the comfort Jesus offers to those who are grieving. Indeed, the verse before it says, "Do not let your heart be troubled" (14:1).

As I reflect more on John 14:2 these words stand out, "if it were not so I would have told you." This is Jesus talking. He is reassuring his disciples and offering them comfort. Read it again. "If it were not so I would have told you." Jesus is not in the business of misleading us. He tells us the truth. At a moment of grief and heartache, Jesus speaks compassionately and to the point.

What about His teaching in parables though? True, these are hardly straight to the point. He uses parables to teach and challenge our thinking on spiritual matters, but on critical issues concerning death and salvation He is straight forward.

As the chapter continues Jesus tells them, "You know the way to the place I am going" (v4). Thomas replies, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" (v5). Jesus answers, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (v6). This is simple, straight-forward teaching from Jesus himself at a moment of possible confusion. We can find comfort and be certain of this truth because it all hinges on verse 2, "If it were not so I would have told you."

This should offer such comfort and reassurance in today's generation searching for answers. It is the truth and He wants us to know it.

GrantJ

1 comment:

  1. Really good insight based on verse 2. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete