Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Preparing for Future Leadership

A couple years ago I took a class with the late Howard Hendricks.  He left a legacy at Dallas Seminary and is greatly missed.  Not only did he have the gift of teaching, but he also had a genuine interest in his students.

I distinctly remember a word of encouragement he shared with the class on leadership.  He reminded us that just because some of us weren't currently in positions of leadership, didn't mean we weren't leaders.  This struck a cord within me.  At the time I had decided to scale back on my commitments while focusing on my seminary studies.  The result was that I was not specifically leading a group of people at the time.  However, I knew that God granted me an unselfish desire to lead.

If God has granted within you the same desire, I've got news for you - you ARE a leader!  No matter whether you are currently leading a group or not.  You are still a leader.  Even if you've fallen from a position of leadership through poor choices, God can still use you in leadership.  Others of us are likely to find ourselves in between leadership roles from time to time, waiting for the call to lead again.

If you are waiting for another leadership role then you are in a season of preparation.  Even if you have years of experience in corporate leadership or church leadership, a transition to another role means preparation.  You are preparing for a new flock.  It's important to be intentional and patient during this time.  Commit yourself to learning more about leadership, in particular, servant leadership.  Learn to lead from the back, not the front.  Learn how to inspire those you lead and always have a teachable spirit.  Lastly, remain humble by asking God to reveal your motives for leading.  - Make sure they remain pure.

As God works behind the scenes to prepare you for your next position of leadership, make the most of the time now.  It will pay dividends down the road.

GrantJ

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is great! This post really resonates with me. I am going into a new season and I am in between leadership roles right now. God spoke through your post today. Thank you for sharing what God has shown you! God bless. Romans 8:28.

    ReplyDelete