Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Buzzer-Beater

I have a clothes dryer with an incredibly annoying buzzer.  (Annoying is an understatement!).  It will awaken me from a deep sleep.  This thing is so loud you can hear it at the neighbor's house.  To make matters worse, it doesn't just sound once.  It sounds three times!  That's right, at the end of the clothes cycle, three obnoxious buzzers alert me at thirty second intervals to the fact that my clothes are now warm and fluffy.  I mean, you'd think the house was on fire with the sound of this thing.  Am I missing something here?  Is this really necessary?  Um yeah, didn't think so.

This got me thinking.  Is there a loud buzzer God continues to sound to get my attention?  Is it an obnoxious alarm that I keep ignoring?  Perhaps He's trying to get my attention and I'm too busy to take notice.  Worse yet, do we ignore His alarms intentionally?  Perhaps we don't want to know what's wrong.  Perhaps it hurts too much to face the truth.  Perhaps we ignore those "annoying" alarms from God by drowning them out with our favorite coping tools (fill in the blank).  We fail to recognize that these "annoyances" are meant to help us.  God graciously sounds these alarms in our direction as a way out, as a means to a better life.  But because His love is not one of coercion, He allows us to freely ignore them, and Him for that matter.

Is He merciful?  Yes.  Does He truly want to help us?  Absolutely.  Will He continue giving us second (and third) chances?  No.  Like the clothes dryer, "annoying" alarms from God will eventually stop.  The "cycle," that is life, will eventually end.  Pray that we don't miss what He's trying to tell us before it's too late.

GrantJ

No comments:

Post a Comment