Saturday, January 15, 2011

Plodding Along

Along with the New Year comes a new semester here at seminary. This semester I'm going to try a new tactic. -Not getting behind! Easier said than done for sure. (I think getting behind and feeling a bit overwhelmed is all part of the process though. It completely breaks you down to the point you have to lean on God). Staying on track, however, should be a less stressful, wiser move.

One of my profs this semester is in his 80s! He's as sharp as a tack with a wealth of knowledge. It will be my hardest class by far. Sensing we might be overwhelmed with the syllabus, on the first day of class he emphasized the importance of plodding along. He said you don't need to be brilliant to succeed in this course (or life for that matter), just a steady plodder.

I believe steadily plodding along in the Christian life is where true joy lies. Plodding along is just the opposite of procrastinating. It's doing what needs to be done when we don't feel like it. It's doing the little things. Great lives are lived by the little things day in and day out. They add up over time.

So here's to a semester of plodding. Doesn't sound too exciting does it? It's not. But I've learned my lesson - procrastination is way over-rated. Besides, I'm getting too old for those late-night cram sessions until 2AM :)

Plodding,
GrantJ

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen a post from you lately. Glad to hear things are going well. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Grant,
    Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. Were you able to spend the holidays with your family? Glad to see a new post. I don't think anyone plans to procrastinate it just happens sometimes, its part of being human. We as humans are constantly ruled by the need of the urgent as my mom would say. However it is definitely wise to steer clear of it and plan your time so as to be available when needed.
    ~Catherine Burk~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Grant,
    I know you are very busy however my family really respect you this blog below (http://www.elladawn.blogspot.com/) is about my niece and I was wondering if you could keep her in your prayers? Thank you and God bless!
    ~Catherine Burk~

    ReplyDelete