Saturday, May 28, 2011

Christ, the Mediator

Have you ever noticed how relationships with others suffer when our relationship with God is out of whack? This happens to me quite often. When I'm not talking to God because of a certain sin or pride, it surfaces in other relationships. They lack depth and sincerity during these times. Sure, I can hide it on the surface, but the richness and fullness are absent. It's a lousy feeling. I may not know the direct cause, but I know something's up. Lewis Sperry Chafer calls this "quenching the Spirit." Repentance is the only cure.

God requires repentance for the Spirit to resume it's communion with us. He requires it for our sake, not His. Repentance not only gets our heart back in line with Him, but with others as well. It clears our conscience as we're not trying to hide anything from God anymore. It frees us and allows us to be in the moment with others.

So where does Christ fit into this? Right in the middle. Repentance opens the pathway for the Mediator, Christ, to bridge the gap in our relationships. Christ holds everything together (Col 1:17). Everything must pass through Him, including relationships. In his book, The Cost of Discipleship, Dietrich Bonhoeffer further explains the concept of Christ as Mediator in our relationships.


"There is no way from one person to another. However loving and sympathetic we try to be, however sound our psychology, however frank and open our behavior, we cannot penetrate the incognito of the other man, for there are no direct relationships, not even between soul and soul. Christ stands between us, and we can only get into touch with our neighbors through Him."

GrantJ

4 comments:

  1. Dear Grant,
    Hope you don't mind my asking but I was just wondering if everything has been ok? Your posts of late have been sounding a little discouraged. What you posted was really good as usaul, and I would have to agree with most of it.However you are so serious all the time, don't you think that we as christens should exuberate the love of christ with our joy?Psalm 28:7. I hope you don't find offence in what I've shared and that these scriptures will encourage not discourage you.Isaiah43:1-3,John 16:33,Psalms 9:9-10, Romans8:28,Philippians 4:13.
    God bless,
    ~Catherine~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Catherine. My goal with this blog is to be authentic. Sometimes that means being serious, sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that you've passed another milestone on your quest to graduation. To hear you working full time and still going to school is a source of inspiration for me. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Grant,
    You are right, being authentic is very important, I did not mean to say you shouldn't be. Your honesty is something rather rare to find and it impresses me. However there is a way to be honest and cheerful at the same time.The joy of the Lord is our strength, it is the salt that brings others to Christ.Without it we are like everyone else in the world its what makes us different.I think it is possible to portray that and still be authentic. I hope you do not take this wrong, like I've said everything you write is amazing,its personally my favorite blog to follow. Its very challenging and honest. I have never been very good at expressing myself, but that's probable why I enjoy your blog. :)
    God bless,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete