Sunday, June 5, 2011

um, uh...but Christ

I'm taking my first preaching class this summer. It's one of those classes I've really been looking forward to. I am, however, a bit nervous about the two sermons we will deliver in class. I'm used to talking in front of people, but handling Scripture in front of fellow classmates is a little intimidating.

On the first day of class I was relieved to learn about the "perfect sermon." My professor reminded us that it doesn't exist. :) Well aware of the perfectionist tendency in seminary, he made sure to drive home his point. Of course we should strive for accuracy and truth when handling the Scripture, but my prof's point was more along the lines of delivery. He doesn't want us to worry about saying the perfect words or making the perfect hand gestures. He wants us to know that it's okay if/when we mess up. I'm glad he pointed this out. It sounds like common sense, but we all need the reminder.

I've worked with lots of folks in TV who strive for the perfect newscast. This usually results in being tense, which ultimately leads to flubbed words. Before I do the weather I remind myself that it's okay to mess up. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Either way I've squashed the idea of a perfect presentation, which helps me relax.

Reminding others that it's okay to mess up is one of the strongest testimonies we have as Christians. I'm not advocating that we should deliberately underperform. Rather, my point is that we need to get the notion of being perfect out of our mind. When we try to be perfect, there is no room for Christ. John could see this dichotomy when he said, "Christ must increase, I must decrease" (John 3:30). This means I've got to get myself out of the way.

So next time you're faced with a presentation or some form of public speaking, remember it's your job to simply get out of the way. (Oh yeah, and to be prepared). As for the actual speaking part, allow Christ to take over by reminding yourself that it's not about you. It's about Him.

GrantJ


1 comment:

  1. If you give all your heart, soul, mind, and strength to God as he requires; and He fills your heart with his Spirit, could you not be made perfect by His power? How would you define messing up? Falling short of the mark, or aiming at the wrong target? I believe we as humans make mistakes, but hopefully, it is always with the intentions of hitting the right target directly in the bulls eye.That our hearts are forever aimed at him. It is always a shame and humiliation when a professing christen blackens the name of Christ by a discovered mistake. To the world we as christens are viewed as hypocrites. If "messing up is the strongest testimony we can present the world with", then aren't we just as badly off as the world? John 16:33, 1John 5:4, 1John4:4,Rev.3:21, 1Peter 5:7. I sincerely wish you, Grant, great success with your sermon.There is no need to feel nervous, I know that you will do great!I'll be praying that all will go well.
    God bless,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete